Whether looking to let a teacher know how much she is appreciated, brighten the mail-carrier’s day, or surprise a coworker, DIY gifts are the perfect way to show how much you care.
Following are some unique packaging tips to give handmade gifts an extra-special touch:
• Package homemade biscotti, cookies, or even body products in vintage tins or jars. A beautiful container is an additional gift that the recipient can keep long after the handmade gift is gone. • Instead of using traditional wrapping paper or gift bags, wrap boxes in craft paper and decorate with pens and markers. Wrap jars and bottles in fabric, burlap, or a pretty kitchen towel and secure it with colorful striped baker’s twine. • Attach a Christmas ornament to the outside of the package in lieu of a traditional gift tag. Ornaments can be treasured for years to come. • Include a hand-written note or card with the recipe for your gift – it is the gift that keeps on giving!
This recipe for Vanilla Body Scrub from Nielsen-Massey Vanillas, included below, is the perfect gift for friends, sisters, daughters, or anyone who deserves a bit of pampering this holiday season. Fragrant Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Sugar gently exfoliates while olive oil moisturizes, leaving skin feeling soft, smooth and rejuvenated.
1 cup Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Sugar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 or 2 drops of an essential oil such as lavender, eucalyptus, etc.
Decorative, waterproof container
Mix ingredients together in a bowl.
Spoon into a decorative, waterproof container.
Wrap in decorative paper.
Instructions for use: Apply a small amount to damp skin while in shower or bath. Gently scrub skin with a soft washcloth. Rinse thoroughly.
Please visit the Nielsen-Massey website for more product information and additional recipes, including more DIY gift ideas such as:
- Vanilla Bean Marshmallows
- Decadent Holiday Fudge
- Cinnamon Vanilla Candied Almonds
- Gourmet Blueberry Vanilla Granola
- Sweet and Spicy BBQ Rub
- Chocolate Coffee Biscotti